Tips on blood donating
- Please have a good meal at least 3 hours before donating blood.
- Please accept the snacks offered to you after the donation, it is vital you have them. You are recommended to have a good meal later.
- Please avoid smoking on the day before donating. You can smoke 3 hours after donation.
- You will not be eligible to donate blood if you have consumed alcohol 48 hours before donation.
- You wont feel drained or tired if you continue to drink fluids and have a good meal.
- You can resume your normal activities after donating blood, though you are asked to refrain from exercise or heavy weight lifting for twelve hours after donation.
- Donating blood will not leave you low of blood; in fact you will still have surplus blood after the donation.
- If you choose to consume alcohol, you can on the next day.
- While donating blood you will not feel any pain.
- You will not faint or feel uncomfortable after donating blood. This is a common misconception.
- You will not get AIDS if you donate blood.
- Patients are just like donors - most of them have common blood types. Because your blood type is common, the demand for that type is greater than for rare types. So, even if your blood type is common there is still a requirement.
- Blood donors donate blood and do not sell it.
Only 38% of the blood is collected in the developing world where 82% of the world's population lives.